- Biological Recording and the Use of Site-Based Biological Information seminar held at Leicester Museum organised by the Biology Curators' Group. It was concluded that steps should be taken to improve the financial situation and status of biological recording, and that interested parties should co-operate to reach agreed standards of recording, storage and retrieval of data.
- Biological Recording Forum held in London under the joint auspices of the Biology Curators' Group and the Biological Records Centre to discuss problems and seeking common solutions. Paul Harding's proposal that the Forum should form the basis of a National Federation for Biological Recording was accepted by the event's 101 participants during the final discussion session.
- The National Federation for Biological Recording was established.
- First NFBR Conference held in Cambridge on the theme of "Biological Recording in a Changing Landscape"
- NFBR Conference held in Bristol on the theme of "Biological Recording: The Products"
- Biological Survey: Need and Network report published. Report of a Working Party set up by the Linnean Society of London, Chairman R.J. Berry, as a result of the biological recording meetings held in 1984 and 1985 by the Biological Curators' Group
- NFBR Conference held in London on the theme of "National Perspectives in Biological Recording"
- NFBR supported the founding of the Coordinating Commission for Biological Recording (CCBR)
- NFBR Conference held in Leicester on the theme of "GIS in action: the work of the regional research laboratories"
- NFBR Conference held in Brighton on the theme of "Invertebrates in the landscape: invertebrate recording in site evaluation and countryside monitoring"
- CCBR commences a national review of biodiversity data holdings and the means to access them. The review took two years to complete
- NFBR Conference held in Cornwall on the theme of "Crises and Biological Recording"
- Biodiversity: The UK Action Plan published, referring specifically to the CCBR's findings in chapter 9 'Information and Data'. NFBR has been involved in many aspects of the UK BAP process.
- NFBR holds "Action on Biodiversity" seminar in Peterborough
- CCBR report Biological Recording in the UK: Present practice and future development published
- NFBR holds a workshop on Local Biodiversity Action Plans in Peterborough
- NFBR Conference held in Peterborough on the theme of "Application of Red Data Books to Planning, BAP and Conservation".
- NFBR Conference held in Liverpool on the theme of "Botanical Recording and Conservation".
- NFBR Conference held in Belfast on the theme of "Bugs for the New Millenium".
- NFBR Conference held in Cardiff on the theme of "Biological Recording: using new technology"
- National Biodiversity Network established. NFBR is a founder member.
- NFBR Conference held in Llandudno on the theme of "Wildlife Information at Your Fingertips - generating data solutions through Local Records Centres".
- NFBR holds a workshop in Birmingham about Local Records Centres
- NFBR Conference held in Winchester on the theme of "Sampling and Sampling Strategies"
- NFBR Conference held in Cardiff on the theme of "Biodiversity Observations and Collections".
- NFBR Conference held in Harrogate on the theme of "Green Spaces, Living Spaces - biological recording and conservation policies in the UK's urban areas".
- NFBR-LRC Conference held in Edinburgh on the theme of "Biodiversity Data - improving management and delivery".
- NFBR Conference held in Birmingham in collaboration with the Biological Records Centre on the theme of "Biological Recording for the Future".
- NFBR Conference held in Oxford hosted by Pond Conservation Trust on the theme of "Getting the Best out of Records, Recording and Sampling Strategies"
- NFBR Conference held in Harrogate on the theme of "Recording and Data Networks".
- Creation of the Association of Local Environmental Records Centres (ALERC) supported by NFBR
- NFBR responds to BRISC petition PE1229 to Scottish Government.
- NFBR Conference held in Gloucester on the theme of "Habitats and Habitat Recording".
- NFBR Conference held in Windermere on the theme of "Biological Recording in Freshwaters".
- New NFBR strategy From Recording to Revelation and implementation plan Towards Joining the Dots were formally adopted by NFBR’s membership at the ‘Future of Biological Recording’ Conference in Bristol
- Proposal adopted to seek charitable status for NFBR to extend our role, take on projects and work in partnership with others
- NFBR responds to Defra consultation on biodiversity indicators
- NFBR started a series of bilateral meetings with key organisations involved in the collection, management or use of biodiversity data with the aim of identifying shared concerns and opportunities for collaboration. Meetings held with the Association of Local Environmental Records Centres, NBN Trust, Biological Records Centre and the Natural History Museum.
- NFBR Conference held in Bishops Stortford on the theme of "Biodiversity Data: In Policy and Practice?"
- NFBR attained charitable status under its new name National Forum for Biological Recording
- Bilateral meetings held between NFBR and the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, Wildlife Trusts, Linnean Society and Field Studies Council
- NFBR responds to NERC consultation on the potential change of governance of its research centres.
- #SkillsTalks online interviews held with the Field Studies Council, Manchester Metropolitan University, The Conservation Volunteers/Buglife and the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- NFBR Conference held in Poole on the theme of "Biological Recording and the Local Perspective".
- Bilateral meetings held between NFBR and the Society of Biology, State of Nature Partnership, British Ecological Society, National Biodiversity Network Trust and Natural Sciences Collections Association (NatSCA)
- Trevor James, Clare Langrick, Helen Roy, John Newbould and Paul Harding step down from NFBR's Board of Trustees
- Louise Bacon, Paula Lightfoot and Simon Pickles appointed to NFBR's Board of Trustees
- NFBR respondes to GBIF consultation on data licensing and NBN Trust consultation on the NBN Strategy
- NFBR Conference held in Derby on the theme of "Habitat: what is it and why do we need to know?"
- Bilateral meetings held with the Scottish Biodiversity Information Forum and National Biodiversity Network Trust
- NFBR Conference held in partnership with the British Ecological Society in Sheffield on the theme of "A Question of Ecology - answers from biological recording".
- NFBR responds to NBN Trust consultation on the NBN Strategic Action Plan
- John Millar appointed to NFBR's Board of Trustees
- Alan Stewart appointed to the NBN Board of Trustees on behalf of NFBR to represent the interests of the biological recording community
- NFBR responds to Defra's consultation on JNCC
- NFBR is represented on the NBN Working Groups on Verification and Online Recording, and co-leads the NBN Working Group on Captivating and Engaging People
- NFBR Conference held in partnership with the Biological Records Centre in Lancaster on the theme of 'National Recording Schemes and Societies - celebrating the past, looking to the future'
- Steve Whitbread steps down from NFBR's Board of Trustees after 13 years. Sarah Whild and Clare Langrick are appointed to the Board of Trustees.
- Teresa Frost, Maria Longley and Zoe Randle are appointed to NFBR Advisory Council.
- NFBR is working with the Field Studies Council and Manchester Metropolitan University to organise an event in July to celebrate 30 years of NFBR and 20 years of the FSC/MMU's Biological Recording courses.